Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Lots of work to do...

So, when I finalled in my chapter contest earlier this year, my prize was a read of my partial by a published author. I received my comments back yesterday. No, I'm not going to tell you who it was who commented, but she's a well-known, talented and successful author whose opinion I respect and whose work I enjoy.

I will also say, however, that I'm not going to make every change she suggested *g*. BUT, a lot of what she said resonated with me, especially about pacing and focus. Sooooo, I saved a new copy of my ms in WriteWay and went to work , cutting scenes, combining others and just generally reworking my opening act. WWP allows me to save stuff on a scratchpad, so everything I cut still exists. Some things I can reuse later in the story - mostly introspection that slowed the opening chapters, but stuff that will fit in well in a couple of other spots.

The comments about pacing in the opening paragraph hit home especially because at least two other people had mentioned it. So the idea was already in my head, but with the THIRD mention of it, I knew I couldn't just play with the idea. I'd better put it into action :-)

What did give me confidence is hearing that my actual writing is excellent - what I really need to work on is the story itself and its various components. Coming from someone whose work I've long admired, this was a huge boost to my confidence


Teresa

Link of the Day: Miss Snark's advice on Pitching to an Agent
Currently coming from my speakers: Sunset - Kate Bush - Aerial [UK] Disc 2

No comments: