Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Some random thoughts on writing

I've always been a writer. Can't really remember a time when I didn't make up stories in my head. And once I learned to write, I recorded them. Along with poetry. Granted while I was at university, all my writing was non-fiction, but I still wrote. And loved the process - even with a tight deadline staring me in the face.

When asked about why I write, I'm not ever certain how to respond. It's like asking why I breathe. I NEED to. There's nothing more to it. Even when I'm not physically writing at the keyboard or on paper, the story is going on in my head. Scenes work themselves through as I go about my daily business.

At its most frustrating, writing can leave me wanting to bang my head against my desk, yet I can't give it up. And when the perfect sentence emerges or my characters speak through me, I know I'll never stop. No matter the chances of my fiction work being published. That's not why I write. It's part of the reason, that's for certain. But writing is a part of me - always has been and always will be.

Teresa



No comments: