Friday, March 03, 2006

Yet more adventures for Cleo the kitten

She actually did pretty well yesterday - calmed down enough to decide the blue blanket is her friend again and to be able to run at least half-way down or up the stairs (though she has to stop and check around the corner before proceeding *g*). Even when a neighbouring cat came to visit through the front window, she was fine... THEN... (you had to know there was a then), just as I was settling down to watch John and Jillian do their final skate on Skating with Celebrities, I heard a noise behind me. Twisting round on the love seat I could just see a little kitten face staring down at me - from the mantel. Right beside the wedding portrait of Sean and me.

Now, anyone with cats can imagine what happened next. Yep - Cleo teetered on the edge of the mantel, brushing against the photo and plunged towards the floor, the photo close behind her. It smashed a second after she landed. And a pretty spectacular smash it was - sending the wee kittie scrambling towards the kitchen and the safety of the basement. From upstairs I heard two more thuds, as both Sean and Chloe came running to see what had happened.

Spent the next few minutes with dustpan, broom and vacuum - missing John and Jillian as I'd flicked over to The Office, just as the disaster unfolded. By the time I got back to it, they were just about to announce the winners. And as I missed the second skate, I really have no idea if Lloyd and Kristy really did skate the best.

I managed to coax Cleo back upstairs where she slinked around again, eyes wide, before settling on the table just beside the front door. She, her mousie and I went up to bed a while later. Though she's still nervous this morning, it's nowhere near as bad as it was, so if she can manage NOT to break anything for the next few days, I think she'll be fine. Of course, she's already tried scaling the side of one of my bookshelves this morning - a perch from where I plucked her, hanging by her claws, before she could cause more mayhem.

IN OTHER NEWS
I did get some more brainstorming done yesterday - am working on my closing scene notes. It's here that things get a little confusing, because it's where this story line converges, up to a point, with that of my previous ms, What the Heart Remembers. The timelines run concurrently. When I started WTHR, I'd no idea that the brother of my heroine would demand his own story - but there you are. He disappears in Cécile's story and in his own, we find out where he was and what he was doing.

On Wednesday, I followed Lynn's link back to Alicia's site and her Outline Your Novel in 30 Mins article. Had read it before, but didn't think to use the questions for this story till Lynn reminded me - thanks Lynn! I found a timer feature on my computer (thanks Corel) and, aside from one phone call, managed to complete the exercise uninterrrupted. And it was worth it - gave me some more great stuff to work with - stream of consciousness things I might not have figured out as quickly.

In the end, though, I chose to spend much of my afternoon yesterday with Sean - he's going away next week, so I figure I'll have plenty of time to work on my ms then - would rather be with him. While out on a walk, we picked up a copy of P&P3 - yay!!! I'm sure my mum can be persuaded (no pun intended) to come over and watch it with me and have dinner.

This morning is Sean's last morning doing the news for our local CBC affiliate *sniff*. It will seem so weird not to hear him on the radio each day after so many months. But we're moving on to other things - it's still a little sad, though. He's been there over 10 years - we're having drinks later with some of the gang, which'll be nice. And, of course, he's sure to be back on the radio out in BC :-)

One last thing - I'm going to blog over at Ainsley Park about writers and historical accuracy. Found something in the book I'm reading for review that just had me shaking my head.

Teresa

Currently Reading: Book for Review
Also Currently Reading: Pandora's Breeches by Patricia Fara
Link of the Day: English Titles in the 18th and 19th Centuries by Jo Beverley

No comments: