Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Yet more wacky weather...

We had another huge windstorm here yesterday - it only last a couple of hours, but was very destructive. Our power went out again twice, but not for too, too long. Just to be safe, though, I planned for a one-pot dinner that could be cooked on the propane stove *g*.

Needless to say, this wreaked havoc with my writing. I couldn't trust the power to stay on, so shut my computer down and turned off the power bar. Friends of hours had their hard drive fried during one of the recent storms and even with the surge protection power bar, I prefer to play things safe. However, before all h*** broke loose, I did some more work on my query letter and more agent research.

Soooo, tonight, I'm hoping to get back to my proofing. I'm doing it on screen as I don't want to waste paper and ink at this stage printing out yet another copy of my ms. It's been so long since I've read the entire ms, that typos etc jump out at me pretty quickly, even on my monitor.

Also, I'm considering entering my TT novel in the Hearts Through History Romance Through the Ages contest. It did reasonably well in the 04 GH - the scores weren't horrible - so I'm curious to see what judges who are allowed to give feedback say. It's in pretty good shape, as I revised it in Sep/Oct after receiving the ms back from a friend (non-writer, but very, very discerning reader). Will have to see if it will fit in the budget.

Anyone out there in blogland planning on entering a contest this year?

Teresa

Currently Reading: The Scot, the Witch and the Wardrobe by Annette Blair
Currently Knitting: a hat for Sean
Link of the Day: Soldiers' Wives by Claire Thornton (background to her novel Raven's Honour)

2 comments:

Nienke Hinton said...

No contests for me. Maybe if I can finish my first draft of my first novel!
Scary about the storm. Hope you have everything backed up remotely! My boss once had his house struck by lightening and it fried EVERYTHING that was plugged in, including the phones.

Melissa Amateis said...

Hmm. I don't think I'll enter any contests, but we'll see how the year progresses.