Friday, February 23, 2007

Organic stories redux...

Phew - good to know I'm not alone!! And great comments, everyone :-) I love hearing about how other people write.

I do feel better now, except it does worry me a bit if I do sell. Can this process be speeded up? I'm figuring it can - especially if I'm devoting a lot more time to my writing when I have a hard deadline. Part of what happened was I decided early on what the story was and kept hammering forward from there with characters and background work etc, rather than really concentrating on seeing if the story itself worked. Maybe what I'll do with the other stories I have waiting in the wings is go in and write a brief outline and start the percolating process.

Do y'all do that too? I have files for several story ideas, and some even have some minor plotting done, but I'm figuring I may need to do more than that.

Friday cat pics (are y'all ready to take away my camera yet? *g*):

Chloe LOVES fleece - can you tell? Here she's found Sean's fleece and squeezed herself onto the edge of the chair just so she can sleep on it.



Here's she's been woken up by Cleo climbing up into Sean's jacket:



and watches in disbelief as Cleo decides to climb inside one of the hanging jackets - you can just see the little nut's back legs and tail sticking out as she hauls herself up:



Chloe this morning, trying to figure out what the heck is going on with my scanner. Guess she's never been around before when I had it going. From the angle she's at, she can see the scanner thingie (don't know the tech term) actually moving. It was pretty cute watching her.




And finally, you'll note below I'm still reading The Adventurous Bride by Miranda Jarrett. Don't let the time I'm taking fool you - I'm LOVING this book. I alternate between reading and knitting, but it's also because part of me doesn't want to see this book end. It's a great story, set in a slightly unusual period (1783 Europe), with an engaging heroine and wonderful hero who is totally blown away by falling in love for the first time. There's a subplot based around a Renaissance triptych panel - I studied Art History at university, so I'm really enjoying this aspect of the novel as well.

Ok - I'd better finish off now. We're going out for dinner tonight, so I'd best go hit the treadmill!!!

Teresa

Currently Reading: The Adventurous Bride by Miranda Jarrett
Also Currently Reading: Dark Angels by Karleen Koen
Link of the Day: Julie Elizabeth Leto on Perseverance

7 comments:

Margaret Porter said...

I, too, am enjoying my protracted read of The Adventurous Bride.

Are you also liking Dark Angels also?

Congrats on your plot/character breakthrough in the wee hours of the morning.

Cute cat pics!

Rene said...

The book sounds great. I'll have to look for it.

You'll figure out the writing thing when you need to.

Brenda Oig said...

Your cats are so cute, Tess. I love cat pictures. I'll have to try and post a few more of mine. I have so many adorable pics of Katie. :)

I have so many stories waiting in the wings, it's ridiculous! lol Many of them are loosely plotted out and just waiting for me to write them. I wish I had more time because they're good! :)

Annette McCleave said...

I write some serious notes when an idea nags at me, then I let it percolate, often for months. I take out my notes every once in a while and add to them when something strikes me.

I'm like you, I need my ideas to gestate for a while in order for them to come out right. In spite of that, I still get stuck occasionally. Every book is a bit different.

Good luck with the next stages, Teresa.

p.s. LOVE the pic of Cleo disappearing up the coat.

Kelly Boyce said...

Okay I'm starting to think we're the same person! I woke up this morning in a panic thinking - when I sell by Spinster series, will I going to be able to write fast enough to meet deadlines? How will I manage all the research so it doesn't interfere with my writing time? Will this knock me into a higher tax bracket?? Sigh...I really need to stop giving myself more stress when it isn't yet warranted.

Melissa Amateis said...

1783 Europe? That is definitely an unusual time period. I must go and check this book out...

Doubtful Muse said...

Awwww. There can never be too many photos of cute kitties.

For keeping track of plotting, I use note cards with individual threads and maybe a sentence or two -- I always keep a few cards handy in case a brilliant idea strikes (not often, alas). The other nice thing about cards is that they can be shuffled (and filed) easily. I originally started doing this when I was editing others' work; sometimes it's difficult to be sure all the little plot threads are lining up properly. It was so helpful, I started using it with my own writing as well. Now I'm totally hooked.