Monday, June 22, 2009

Rewriting from a different point of view....

I think I may FINALLY have hit on what's wrong with the opening to my completed FR story. Originally, I opened it in my heroine's pov - at some point, I changed that to my hero's. I've rewritten those first few lines COUNTLESS times since, eliciting advice, rewriting again and yet somehow it's never quite worked. And now I think I know why - because Cécile is meant to speak first and continue speaking till about half-way through the opening scene when Adrian originally took over.

Hand slaps to forehead. Fortunately I still have the old opening. Lots of it will have changed, but the basics are there, so I don't have to start from scratch completely. Something tells me it will end up being a complete rewrite, but there's something comforting about beginning the process with words on the page. We'll see. I just have to squeeze this rewrite in. It WILL happen as none of my characters are taking this school excuse lying down any more. They're demanding my attention.

Overall, I feel a huge weight has lifted as far as this story is concerned. It's something so simple, something I know I can do.

Have you had a writing epiphany lately? Care to share?

Teresa

Currently Reading: The Devlin Diary by Christi Phillips
Link of the Day: Holly Tucker's Early Modern History Resources

2 comments:

Melissa Amateis said...

I've done that before, too, where the scene just isn't working and I realize it's because I'm using the wrong POV.

Kelly Boyce said...

Glad you got it figured out!