Sunday, March 25, 2007

New blogging routine...

Hi everyone,

Yes, I'm back. Well, kinda.

Last week I spent much of my time with our niece and cousins (all little girls between 5 and 9). We had a fantastic time. It also gave me a chance to think about my blogging routine. And I came to the following conclusion:

I spend way too much time blog-hopping, time that could be spent on my mss. I've always used the excuse I'm not creative in the morning, but that just isn't going to wash anymore.

As a result, I'm going to cut my blog-hopping back to twice a week, so if you don't see me every day, that's why. The only exceptions will be a few industry blogs.

Why am I taking such drastic measures? Because I can't afford to keep making excuses for why my writing work is falling lower down my list of priorities. Yes, I learn a lot from the blogs I read - which is why I won't quit reading them - BUT, I'm an expert at procrastination. And right now, the last thing I need is to procrastinate any more.

I'm going to continue to try to blog most evenings during the week. And realize that by cutting back my own visits to other blogs, my comments/hits will decrease. But that's ok - getting comments and hits has never been my reason for blogging.

The other piece of news I have from this week is...drumroll please...we have a building permit!!! When I have a chance, I'll post a pic of Sean with it - he hung the sign yesterday, including our street number. Very exciting. We're hoping to see forms and a foundation within the next couple of weeks :-)

That's about it for tonight. Hope y'all understand where I'm coming from (I'm sure you do).

Teresa

5 comments:

Kelly Boyce said...

I hear you on the blogging. I've had to cut down on my posting because I found it was cutting into my writing time. Blog-hopping I can do through the day if I'm not busy, but the posting I had to review. I would stop writing my mss to write a post when I could have squeezed another 20 minutes out of my mss writing!

Anonymous said...

I totally understand, Tess. In fact that's what I've been doing lately. I haven't even posted near as many as I was for a long time. I like blogs, but it's more important to spend my free time working on the writing. It's the only way if we want to get published. I hope it works out well for you.

Melissa Amateis said...

Yup - I understand. Blogging can become a distraction from writing just like anything else can. Good for you for making this decision - you won't regret it. :-)

Annette McCleave said...

You and your writing are your top priorites. Do whatever it takes. We definitely understand.

Congrats on the building permit!

Gabrielle said...

CONGRATS on the building permit, that's great news! And you're right about blogging. I mainly do mine at lunch at work, and save my other times for writing. It's a great outlet/way to learn things, but also a great time suck.