Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Where I'm stuck...

Melissa just asked me where I'm stuck.

Basically, I'm in the middle of revision hell (see Larissa's post on this). I finished the ms last October, just before my older cat died. Then I sent it out for critique, which took longer than I'd thought, but perfectly understood. In March I discovered FDin30D and applied some of the techniques to straighten out my timeline, clarify some aspects of conflict and just generally organize the ms.

After that I spent time looking up all the words that were possibly anachronistic (many of them were) and finding appropriate substitutes.

One of my critiquers and best friends (a professional editor) gave me a line edit, so I've been entering her grammar corrections and applying many of her more general suggestions.

But I also have a ton of other great feedback plus some plot changes/scene moves that need applying. Still, the grammar stuff is really important and has to be completed first.

It's all very overwhelming, which has left me paralyzed. I noodle around, blog hop etc. And now I'm trying to get my office cleaned up after the arrival of the filing cabinet. It's ALMOST done.

Sooooo, I'm publicly resolving, here and now the following things:

1) I can't blog until I've made the changes on at least 3-4 chapters each day

2) I have to report here each day how many chapters I've done!

3) I can't blog hop if I don't meet my goal

Once I've finished cleaning the office (hopefully by noon), I'm going to go through the rest of the ms and see exactly how many scenes/chapters I have left, calculate reasonable goals and post them here.

Hopefully being publicly accountable will help me!

Teresa

Still Working on: Pandora's Breeches by Patricia Fara
Also Currently Reading: The You I Never Knew by Susan Wiggs
Contemplating Starting: The Queen's Man by Terri Brisbin
Link of the Day:

2 comments:

Stephanie Tyler said...

Good luck with your revisions! Once you really get into them, you'll probably give yourself less resistance. Of course, this is said from someone who is avoiding her own writing by bloghopping.

Melissa Amateis said...

Bloghopping is evil! That's why I try to do it at work and then write when I get home.
Good luck with your goals!!!