Friday, August 25, 2006

Yet more time at the gym...

Yep, I'm trying to establish a routine, so am forcing myself to go as frequently as possible. That's always been a problem for me with everything, not just exercising. I start off with enthusiasm, then slack off. It's why I make myself write as often as possible. Interestingly enough, Margaret Moore recently blogged about writing every day, and how for some people it's an absolutely unbreakable rule. She has her own thoughts on this, and they pretty much echo mine.

Yesterday I spent much of my work time on those contest entries. I'm on the third one now and it has lots of problems, so I'm going through and picking out a few main ones, rather than just overloading the writer with tons of critique. I just hope what I'm saying proves helpful. In all of these entries, the writers use a lot of dialect. I mean, a lot. I haven't said anything in the ms itself, but will include something on the scoresheet about this - rather than just adding flavour, the dialect is slowing down my reading. Which is a shame. I'm not one who says there should be NO dialect, I just believe one should find a good balance.

Needless to say, I didn't get any work done on my own mss, but there's time enough for that. I'm still researching agents and looking at various query letters authors/agents have made available online. Not that I have a huge issue with my own, I just like to see what's out there and maybe pick up a tip or two.

On the reading front, I'm almost finished Undomestic Goddess. It's a great read - can hardly wait to get back to it, but as we're going to a bbq this evening, I may not get to it till tomorrow or Sunday. SK's pacing is amazing - she just keeps me flipping those pages! And I love her characters :-)

Anyway, I'll stop chattering now (it's the grande latte kicking in *g*) and wish you all a very happy weekend!

Teresa

Currently Reading: The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella
Link of the Day: Charlotte Dillon's Links for Writers

No comments: