Thursday, March 03, 2005

Another rant

Yeah, yeah I know - THREE posts in one day. But I just read something that made me really MAD:

http://www.hwforums.com/2035/messages/22250.html

Ok - now THIS is why reviewers get such a bad reputation. Because apparently some people like reading snarky reviews that do more to insult the author than to actually analyse the prose.

As a reviewer I have NO problems giving a negative review, but I keep a civil tongue in my head and don't try to entertain the reader with my remarks. I explain WHY a book didn't work for me and am quite up front about it. But I also keep a professional manner and don't make any remark that could remotely be interpreted as "snarky". At least I hope I don't.

But is it any wonder that authors don't even bother reading reviews at certain sites? I mean, imagine having someone out there waiting breathlessly for their story to be ripped apart and stomped on by some reviewer. All so someone out there in readerland can have a good laugh.

And I personally don't give a rat's a** that there are review sites for movies etc that rip other forms of entertainment apart.

As a reviewer I consider my job to be to read the book, assess it and deliver that assessment in a clear, concise manner - outlining for the reader the strengths and weaknesses of the author's work. Simple as that.

This may make me horribly unpopular, but again, I really don't care. I've never been afraid to state my opinions, even if they go against the grain. That's not going to change now.

Teresa (now climbing down carefully from her high horse)

No comments: