Saturday, February 19, 2005

Hmm, so people aren't reading any more?

After this morning, I'm not sure I believe that. It was -19 with a windchill of -26 when I left the house. Even so, by the time I arrived at the church at 8:45 for the booksale, there was already a long line of people and more joining it with each passing minute. They took pity on us and let us in about five minutes early and I was engulfed in a sea of people. Excuse the cliché, but that's the only way I can think to describe the scene. The crush was incredible - everywhere I looked there were eager customers, clutching boxes or canvas bags. Some took time to look over the books and choose, while others grabbed handfuls to sort later.

I fared pretty well - found a really cool book called The British Code of Duel (reprint of the 1824 edition) and a dictionary of synonyms and antonyms as well as Edith Pargeter's The Heaven Tree trilogy. Also picked up some books for my husband, including the companion book to Michael Wood's In Search of the Trojan War and one about the battle of Antietem (sp?) - he's an American Civil War buff.

By the time I was ready to leave, the line-up to cash out had ballooned with the volunteers working as quickly as they could. Most people had at least a half dozen books, if not two or three times that number. Meanwhile, the doors kept opening as others arrived.

Certainly doesn't look like reading is dying out as a pasttime, at least not to me.

After I paid, I headed for the bus stop. But when I was about half a block away, I saw the bus go by. Had to make a decision - stand and wait for half and hour, or keep walking. The temperature had increased quite a lot over that hour, so I figured I might as well just trudge along, switching the bag from hand to hand every couple of minutes. Took me 35 minutes to get home, but it was actually not a bad walk. And now I don't have to go to the gym this afternoon!

My husband will be home from work soon, so I can show him his prizes .

So, that was my morning.

Teresa

No comments: