Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Thoughts on judging

This morning I made my first post to the judging training listserv I'm on. We have sample entries which we score, then post the scores and our comments for the other judges to see. Discussion ensues. I felt really bad - the first entry wasn't a great one. But I couldn't pull punches. I don't feel that helps the entrant at all. Being nice seems the way to go, but in the end, it doesn't really do the author any favours. They think the work is ready for submission and an editor sends it right back. So I include lots of comments and examples which hopefully mitigates the lower scores.

Judging is such a subjective thing. Maybe others will read this entry and think it's great. Who knows? But for me, all I see is my own early work and know how much I've learned since then. And remember all those who helped me along the way by being honest with me about what worked an what didn't.

So, do you judge contests? If so, do you use the full range of scores?

Teresa

Currently Reading: Research Stuff
Link of the Day: Lest Ye Be Judged: Contest Judging for Writers - Alicia Rasley

No comments: