Thursday, August 10, 2006

Another quick post, but this one with links...

Our niece is visiting, so I won't be at my desk for a lot of the day, but I figured I'd drop in here, so y'all know my head hasn't yet exploded from the frustration caused by the non-appearance of the book I'm expecting.

I spent a lot of time yesterday finding to find a site I coulda sworn I'd bookmarked. No success. Grrrr.

Then I tried to finish off the last change I want to make in WTHR, only to run into a brick wall. All I want is one more physical reaction from my heroine as the hero holds out a ring to her. Everything I write just sounds so f***** hackneyed, it's driving me round the bend. Yet I know I need something there. I even tried a poll over at my LJ. What do you do when you just can't find the right words? Especially with something like this, where there really are a limited number of ways to describe how someone feels when they see a ring. You catch your breath, your pulse quickens etc. Or maybe I'm over thinking this?
------
UPDATE

Thanks Kelly!! Great suggestion. It really helped. I went with the following:

Mon dieu, he is proposing. She swallowed hard and tried to keep her voice from squeaking. "It is so beautiful."

I'm still not sure it's perfect, but it's better than before.

Bren - normally I do what you said, but this is pretty much one of the last things I need to do before sending this ms out to someone for a final read-through (though I still haven't found someone who can help me out with this).

This is why I believe in the power of critiquing, though. Sometimes we find ourselves so focussed on something that we can't think laterally, whereas a neutral person will often do just that. Or just speak from their own experience, which is equally valuable :-)

Some links for you:
Loretta Chase's Random Notes
BIAW at A Villa in Tuscany
Writer Unboxed's first Contest
Less is More by Kimbery Logan over at the Jaunty Quills blog
Finding the Joy - thoughts from Claire Delacroix

Have a great day :-)

Teresa

Currently Reading: The Invention of the Passport: Surveillance, Citizenship and the State (the chapter on travel documents during the French Revolution), by John Torpey

No comments: