Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Alex just asked...
What's a pantser?

It's someone who doesn't outline or plot their story. Rather they just start writing and, in essence, "fly by the seat of their pants" - letting the story unfold as they write.

Not something I can do. Not that my scenes don't sometimes come out way differently than I expected when I did my plotting, but I have to at least have a structured outline before I start writing.

Teresa (who really has to do the bank reconciliation started now she's at the office)

4 comments:

Rene said...

I am SUCH a pantster. Can't help it, have tried and tried to outline and I just get irritated.
It makes writing a synopsis a pain if I haven't finished the book yet.

Lynn said...

I'm a plotting pantser. I start out by the seat of my pants, then write a very loose outline to make sure I don't get lost on the way to the HEA.

Alex Bordessa said...

Yeah, I'm a panster, though it doesn't stop me admiring those who are plotting demons - looks much the best way to be!

Larissa Ione said...

Lynn, that's kind of what I do. I start out just writing, but then I always hit a snag at about chapter two and realize I need to do some plotting.